The bastion at the Nijmegen railway bridge
On the banks of the Waal, two towers flank the place where the railway bridge comes ashore.
This characteristic building oversees all water, rail, cycling and walking traffic in the area and raises questions from many passers-by.
The bastion, which was once built as a defensive structure, has a history as a bridge pier, bridge keeper's house, anti-aircraft guntower, emergency residence, photo studio and painting studio.
A history that started in 1879, after the opening of the railway bridge.
Several times the building was nominated to be demolished, but each time fate decided otherwise.
A music practice room has been housed in the eastern tower since 2014, and since the end of 2019 the user has regularly given interested parties the opportunity to view the building from the inside.
Every Sunday a group of volunteers guide interested parties around the striking building.